Dentist For Children
Your Dentist for Children in Steveston, Richmond, BC
Your dentist for children is here at Family Dentistry & Implants In Steveston Richmond. We are conveniently located in Steveston and serve the Richmond, BC, area. We are committed to giving your child a beautiful, healthy and confident smile! As a family-friendly clinic, our dedicated staff are trained to exercise patience, compassion and a friendly demeanor towards our young patients.
We always practice a “show-tell-do” technique. This means we’ll show our junior patients what we will be doing, and we’ll explain everything to them in as positive a manner as possible before moving ahead with any treatment. This helps us to provide a more fun and positive experience for young and first-time patients. So if your family is looking for a dental clinic in the Richmond, BC, area, call Family Dentistry & Implants In Steveston Richmond today!
Tips for Parents
While we do our part providing children’s dentistry services, it’s also important for parents to be knowledgeable about the best practices for your child’s dental health. Here is some important information:
- A child’s teeth usually begin to appear at roughly 6 months of age. It is recommended that your child visit a dentist by 1 year of age. It can be challenging to brush a toddler’s teeth, but it is important to do because decay can start easily and develop very quickly in children’s teeth.
- Thoroughly wipe your infant’s gums after each feeding with a soft wet cloth. This stimulates the gum tissue and removes food debris.
- If your baby sleeps with a bottle or sippy-cup, only fill it with water.
- Young children cannot clean their own teeth. Brush for them when they are very young and brush with them as they grow older.
- Use a tiny smear of fluoride toothpaste (the size of a grain of rice) and gradually increase to a small pea-sized amount by age 3.
- Brushing should last for at least 2
minutes,and should be done twice a day.
- Visit the dentist every 6 months to check for cavities in the primary teeth and for possible dental developmental problems. Finger or thumb sucking can potentially lead to occlusion problems. Any dental developmental problems detected and treated early can, in most cases, simplify future orthodontic treatment.
Dental Sealants can Help Protect Against Cavities!
The chewing surfaces of your child’s teeth aren’t smooth and flat. Instead, they are covered with tiny bumps and valleys called pits and fissures. These are the areas where plaque can easily build up and food can get stuck, making these surfaces susceptible to cavities. Applying a sealant over the top of the tooth is a way to prevent cavities from developing in these pits and fissures.
A dental sealant is a thin plastic film painted on the chewing surfaces of teeth. Sealants usually last between 5-10 years. As children’s teeth are the most susceptible to cavities, they can often benefit the most from dental sealant treatment.
Protect Your Child’s Smile With Custom Sports Guards
Sports injuries to your mouth and jaw can occur at any age. Many of these injuries can be avoided by simply wearing a properly fitted mouth guard. At Family Dentistry & Implants In Steveston Richmond, we make custom sports guards that can provide a great fit that not only protects your teeth and gums, but the soft acrylic can also reduce the severity of concussions.
To learn more about our protective dental equipment, or if you’re looking for a dental clinic with experience working with families and children of all ages, give Family Dentistry & Implants In Steveston Richmond a call today!